Racism, homophobia, bullying all can take their toll on your emotional wellbeing. 5 ways to protect yourself and limit the impact of microaggressions.
- Tell someone- don’t bottle it in. Most major organisations run ally schemes so that you can find someone who understands and does not judge you to listen.
- Write it out. Journalling helps to put it on paper instead of holding it in.
- Practice compassion mindfulness-
- Do some exercise- whether it is dancing, yoga, walking or jogging- it all helps to mop up the stress hormones.
- Don’t over think it. A common response when we are hurt is to go over and over in our mind- why did this happen? This can lead to the sad/angry feeling sticking more and affect your sleep, sense of peace over a much longer time.
“Being other is not a choice and is usually predetermined way before we come to this world. “
What do you think?
What support would you be willing to give as an ally to someone who is struggling with discrimination?